Key Lime Cheesecake Bars
I’m a huge fan of key lime pie, as is one of my best friends Gabby, so, I’ve made several traditional key lime pies over the last couple of years. That being said, I’ve also eaten a great deal of the stuff. For me, there’s just nothing like a really tart dessert, and key limes provide the perfect balance of tart and sweet.
Once, I actually made a pie with fresh key lime juice. Bought myself a whole bag of key limes from the store, and it was a horrible decision. Seriously, those things are so flippin small, I must have squeezed at least 35 of them. My wrists and hands were killing me and honestly, it’s just not worth it.
Here’s the good news though- most grocery stores sell key lime juice in a bottle and it’s awesome. Super easy, not even expensive, and I swear you won’t notice any difference in taste. Don’t sacrifice your wrists for the love of limes.
This time around I decided to combine two of my favorite loves- key lime pie and cheesecake. The result is something more rich and creamy than traditional key lime pie, but it still carries a great lime flavor. I also added pecans to the crust for a different texture and flavor. I love these bars, and if you cut them small, it’s a great bit-size treat. I added whipped cream to calm down the tartness and it’s a great mix. Enjoy!
- 9-10 graham crackers
- 1/2 cup whole pecans
- 2 tbs. melted butter
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 2 8 oz. packages of cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup key lime juice (or lime juice)
- 1/4 flour
- Use a food processor to pulse together the graham crackers and pecans into crumbs.
- Add in the butter and almond extract.
- Pour crust into an 8x8 pan lined with parchment paper, and press down firmly.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla.
- Beat in eggs one at a time. Then add the juice and flour alternating in two parts each, starting with the flour.
- Pour the filling over the crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, until the top starts to brown.
- Cool completely and chill before serving!