I’ve got your Sunday brunch recipe right here. Quiche is seriously under-rated and not nearly common enough as far as I’m concerned. It’s super easy, and let’s face it, that’s what weekend life should be about.
If you’ve never made a quiche before, today’s the day to try it out. It’s the kind of thing that you can put anything into, so it’s perfect for any leftover veggies or meats that you have lying around. Plus, you can just use store-bought pie crust and it tastes just perfect.
I made this version with bacon, sweet red pepper, and cheddar, along with some other yummy things I had lying around. I think it can be easy to lose flavor in a quiche since there’s so much egg, so the key is to really build up flavors with every ingredient. I added caramelized onions that I cooked with some balsamic vinegar, some minced garlic, and a lot of black pepper to bring everything together. I like to sprinkle cheese and cracked black pepper on the top- once it’s baked up, there’s an amazing crust on the top from this!
The best thing about this dish is that you don’t even have to heat it up- it’s great cold, at room temperature, whatever is easiest for you totally works. I’d say if there’s one thing to always do, it’s to add cheese to it. Always cheese. Enjoy! Here’s the aftermath of my photo shoot-
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper, plus more to sprinkle on top
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, chopped
- 6-7 pieces of cooked, crumbled bacon
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, one handful reserved for the top
- 1 pie crust for a deep-dish pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Over low-medium heat, cook the chopped onions, olive oil, and balsamic until reduced and caramelized. Add garlic and continue cooking for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, cream, salt, pepper, paprika, and chili pepper.
- Then, fold in the red pepper, jalapeno, bacon, scallions, and cheddar cheese. Add in the cooled onion and garlic mixture
- Pour the egg mixture into your deep dish pie crust. Carefully place your pie into the oven, and bake 45-60 minutes, or until a knife test in the center of the pie comes out clean, and the pie is set. Slice and enjoy!